The Town of Oak Island wants all property owners to be aware of how they may be impacted by flooding and what they can do to protect themselves, their families and their property from flood damage. Detailed flood insurance maps, showing special flood hazard areas, are available below. If you have questions about your specific property, the office is staffed by personnel that are qualified to assist you.
The Town of Oak Island Development Services Department would like to pass on a reminder that our office provides flood information services for the Town of Oak Island. Items our office can specifically help with include:
- Basic Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) Information: Our maps will show if your property is in the Special Flood Hazard (SFHA) area and we can provide the basic information that you will need to secure flood insurance.
- Additional FIRM information: Our maps will show if your property is located in a floodway.
- Historical Flood Information: We can provide information to let you know if your property is in an area that has suffered repetitive flooding.
- Natural Floodplain functions: We can provide you information to let you know if your property is located in or near sensitive, natural or protected floodplain areas such as wetlands.
- Elevation Certificates: We have copies of elevation certificates for most existing structures in the Special Flood Hazard Areas. The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Elevation Certificate (EC) (FEMA form 086-0-33) is an administrative tool of the NFIP which is to be used to provide elevation information necessary to ensure compliance with community floodplain management ordinances to determine the proper insurance premium rate.
Flood Hazard Guide — This is a comprehensive guide for citizens to utilize during flooding and rain events.
Flood Maps (NC) — A link to the FRIS (North Carolina Flood Risk Information System).
Building to Flood Standards — A slideshow outlining the basic laws and guidelines used to build in flood-prone areas.
Flood-Smart Program — FEMA and The National Flood Insurance Program’s guide to purchasing and understanding flood insurance.
Flood-Prone Area Map — This map shows the locations of low lying areas subject to flooding during rain events.
Hurricane Preparedness Plan — The Town of Oak Island’s recommendations on how to best prepare for any upcoming hurricanes.
Hazard Mitigation Plan — A Hazard Mitigation Plan (HMP) involving a three-county region including Brunswick, New Hanover, and Pender Counties.
Floodplain Management Publications — A list of publications and references useful during floodplain management.
Coastal Construction Manual — The principles and practices of planning, siting, designing, constructing, and maintaining residential buildings in coastal areas.
Are You Prepared for a Flood? — A brochure detailing the best steps to take to prepare for a flood.
Hazard Mitigation Assistance — A link to hazard mitigation assistance information from FEMA.
Flood Inundation Mapping — A link to FIMAN (The Flood Inundation Mapping and Alert Network), go here to sign up to receive flood alerts.
Flood Risk Calculator — North Carolina’s search engine to find out the flood risk at your address.
National Hurricane Center — NOAA and the National Weather Service’s center for hurricane information.
Previous Flooded Areas Map — The map shows the locations of flooded areas during Hurricane Florence.
The Town of Oak Island is concerned about flooding and provides these services to help protect property and citizens. Please feel free to contact our office at (910) 278-5024 if we can provide any assistance.